Monday, June 12, 2006

Weekends

Weekends are a valuable commodity when I visit home. I have to cram as much time with my loved ones as possible in two short days. This weekend was no exception. Friday was drinks and dancing, Saturday was winery tours and Sunday was a baseball game. Much alcohol consumption and too little sleep but all worth it

Though afterwards I couldn't stop thinking about our Friday night. So let’s forget for a moment that it has been well over three years since I have frequented any clubs in the Toronto area. But I have been pondering why even in the company of my best girlfriends I failed to enjoy our little excursion to BLVD (the new My Apartment) on Friday night.

We were on the hunt for a spot where we could enjoy a few drinks and then dance the night away. But a combination of lame music and pretentious attitudes kept me from truly enjoying the night. Apparently the scene has always been this way, but I don’t recall ever having a night where I couldn’t rise above, ignore the attitudes of those around me and enjoy my time. At least not at any level that a couple quick drinks couldn't fix.

The whole atmosphere stank of cheap club clothes, hormones and attitude. Where were all the people who simply headed out on the town to have a good time? Perhaps I have just been spoiled having lived for six months in a culture where dancing is a part of the culture. Where people go out to have a good time by dancing, drinking and hanging out with friends. Sex while an underlying tone just didn't have the dominating presence that I experienced on Friday night.

Is this something lacking in the North American culture? Am I just going to the wrong clubs? Or am I just getting judgemental in my old age?

No comments: