Friday, June 29, 2007

bittersweet symphony

A few weeks ago I read a quote by Nelson Mandela in which he stated "There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered". Those words resonated with me at a time in my life when I feel like my perceptions of the world and my life are undergoing a serious shift.

Recently I watched that Verve video. You know, the one with the guy walking down the busy sidewalk oblivious to all the other pedestrians around him. It had been years since I had seen that clip and I was startled at how drastically my perspective had changed.

More than a decade ago, when that video was a part of MuchMusic's regular rotation I loved the song but I always viewed the singer as an arrogant asshole who gave little consideration to the world around him. But today, as I listened to the lyrics with fresh ears, my judgements were drastically altered and I deemed that he wasn't the bastard I had first believed him to be. He was instead just a guy who was living his life and making no apologies for it. Not a second of his existance was wasted on gratuitious anxiety concerning the opinion others might hold of him. I am aiming to live my own life with that type of veracity. Minus the knocking old ladies over in the street.

No comments: