Saturday, January 01, 2011

Happy New Year

We awoke today to a brilliantly sunny morning with a heavy frost. Sure its winter, but this is the lower mainland of BC after all. Freezing temps and frost at sea level is a definite rarity. (I'm sure I just made anyone who might be reading this in other parts of Canada curse a little)

So we decided to bundle up, grab some take away coffee and stroll along the Pitt River. What a sight beheld us.

The trees were covered in a crystal frost and the snow capped mountains looked even more majestic than usual against the clear blue sky.



For the first thirty minutes or so we didn't see a single other person. They were probably all still nursing hangovers or some such nonsense but we were old farts who didn't even make it to midnight last night so we enjoyed soaking up the scenery in some peaceful solitude.

Fletcher over course loved having his run of the trail and the surroundings. He quickly discovered that by stepping in the frozen puddles he could break up the ice and chomp on it.



When we came across a large icy patch Chris and I had a good laugh skimming pebbles across the surface and watching Fletcher flail about as he chased them.





There is nothing like a good dose of natural beauty to make me realize how lucky I am to live where I do. I sometimes curse the commute and the fact that living in PoCo makes life that little bit more inconvenient. But when I think that moving closer to the city would mean giving up scenes like this only a short walk from our house...



I realize the suburbs can have their benefits. At least when those suburbs are in BC.

No comments: