Tuesday, January 25, 2011

leftovers

I am the queen of leftovers. On the weekends I make up giant batches of chilis, curries and sauces big enough for an army even though I'm only feeding our micro family. Our fridge is container city by the time Sunday evening rolls around.

The problem with leftovers is that no matter how good a meal it is things get a little less than exciting by the second and third go round.

I just have no motivation on weeknights to start a meal from scratch. It's not the actual food prep. I love the cooking part. It's the cleanup. When I come home in the evenings I want to go for a run, quickly reheat my dinner, and then park my butt on the couch for the rest of the night.

Technically the rule in our house is whoever cooks doesn't have to cleanup. But guilt usually takes over when it is time to tackle the dishes. Why should Chris have to wash dishes and tidy the kitchen (read: crappy hated job) after I've just messed it up doing something I love.

So I have been on the lookout for ways to make leftovers a little different each night, but with minimal effort. The other night it was veggie chili with some fresh bread. Tonight its veggie chili on a baked potato. Not exactly night and day, but I was pretty excited to think of it. I love potatoes, but I rarely bake them. I in fact googled 'how to bake a potato' just to confirm the oven temperature. Clean them, stick them in the over and forget about them for an hour or so. Easy. And no dishes to cleanup



I foresee alot of baked potatoes in our future.

Any tips for making leftovers a little more interesting?

No comments: